Thread: Best Game Ever?
View Single Post
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Since Blindzebra took my answer, the next one....This past season my crew started working in a good 3A conference that I've been trying to work for a couple of years. Mid-season we got a game with 2 coaches that historically are quite a handful. In the first half, my partner and I missed a block in transition. I was going to L, one of my partners is at C. A pretty bad block happened right next to him, but I think he was straightlined and didn't catch it. I was a little too patient and would have been waaayyy to late calling it. The ball is stolen from the home team and as the other team goes the other way, the home player reaches out and grabs the foot of the player that took the ball. My partner comes in with an intentional (great call, but we shouldn't have booted the first one, the kid needed to keep his head though). We rotated away and the coach of course is in my ear. He tells me he thinks the intentional was a great call, but is mad about the block first. I said, "coach, I'll tell you exactly what happened..." and gave him the explanation from above. I assured him we would talk about it and it wouldn't happen again. He was completely satisfied and good for us the rest of the night. The game went down to the wire with the visiting team hitting 4 late 3's (all by the same player from the same spot, home needed to call a TO and stop that play). I big-timed a block on a shot late in the game that was a good and fun call. Great night at the office. We handled the coaches well and I think improved our reputation in that league.