View Single Post
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIGGY
QUOTE=WhatWuzThatBlue "If AMLU disappears, the PBUC system will still be in place and the umpires will still receive training and promotion. Candidates will still have to attend professional school and be evaluated before signing on."

WOW, THIS MAY BE THE ONLY INTELLIGENT INSIGHT ON THE ISSUE YOU HAVE EVER HAD!
Let me address these issues, and specifically JUSTME's list:

Wow, you took all that time to address just my issues......very flattering thank you

I'm not against the strike. I hope that the striking umpires get the deal that they want BUT, they aren't in a very good position. Like it or not that's the facts.

In the job market supply and demand dictates how much a position pays. Just like the supply and demand of gas dictates how much we pay for it. The MiLB umpires are not a big demand item, due to the fact that there are many umpires out there waiting to take their place. Plus the job that the MiLB umpires isn't that important in the overall scope of the country's needs (in fact not even MLB's needs it seems). Bottom line is low need equals low pay and when there are many people waiting for one position then the employers can get away with offering less money.

It might not be fair, while some believe that the MiLB umpires are deserving of more money, they are not to the people that matter. No matter what you and I think is fair the games will go on, with or without the striking umpires.