View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

The play in detail....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
I would say that Armadillo_Blue has not presented nearly enough detail on the particulars of his sitch to comment meaningfully on whether or not interference was a proper call here.

If all the batter-runner did was turn to toss his bat towards the 3B dugout and promptly proceeded to 1B, I'd have a hard time supporting an interference call.

On the other hand, if he dawdled in or near the batter's box watching the R3 approach and didn't get out of the way until "the last minute" and hindered the defense's play, interference would seem quite appropriate.

Which was it Armadillo_Blue?

JM

The right handed batter exited the batter's box and stepped toward the third base dugout. Tossed the bat. Then turned around and walked back through the box and across the plate right in front of the pitcher running in to take the catch from the catcher up against the backstop.

The batter had already cleared out of the area to discard his bat and then reentered it in order to advance to first.

In my mind this was clearly interference as he easily could have avoided the play all together by staying put or going around. The act of cutting back across the plate while his team mate was coming in from third made it "blatant and avoidable".

My question is, does the fact that he is now a batter-runner instead of a batter mean that he is out instead of the runner?

My reading of the rules says that the BR is out because he is no longer a batter, but I wanted to know if there was any AO or Official Interps to the contrary of which I was unaware.

Kyle

Last edited by Armadillo_Blue; Wed May 17, 2006 at 09:23pm.