Thread: Second guessing
View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Dakota: LOL I was wondering who was going to notice that important part of the situation. I really wasn’t trying to make up a reason for an out, but I was sure glad I had one. Now I am pretty sure it was the wrong call. (Or maybe the right call for the wrong reason! Hehe)

Mike: The ball was reaching the glove as contact was made, ball deflected off F2s glove, hit her in the chest, and fell to the ground. F2 stepped back as R1 hit her arm/glove, otherwise might have been bigger crash. Without the contact, quite possibly the ball is caught in time for the force, would have been very close play. Still it is not R1s problem that F2 is set up in this silly position instead of out in front of the plate in fair territory.

In the end, calling INT here penalized the offense for doing nothing wrong and rewarded the defense for poor play. R1 was just running home, and was not avoiding a tag, so in hindsight I have to say R1 had every right to the plate. She made no move to intentionally knock the ball from F2s glove. F2 would have had an easy out if she had set up in front of the plate (not blocking it) to take the throw for the force out.

Bad call, blue!