View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM
NIump50,

Despite your "belief", this IS, in fact, "continuous action".

From J/R (to my knowledge, the only authoritative source which defines the concept):

Despite your deep understanding of the rules and their proper application evident in this and other posts (res ipsa loquitor), I am more inclined to subscribe to the opposite opinion espoused by J/R:

Though I would certainly concur that the "...proper batter is out on appeal."

JM
Perhaps I mispoke on the 'continuous action' point, but for the purpose of this call they are two distinct and separate actions. R3s attempt to score has nothing to do with BOO. The defense will not be penalized and the out stands.
I see well qualified people on both sides of this issue and IMHO J/R is not conclusive on this sitch.
You have to remember
1. Most rules have been made and evolved over the years to address specific situations and issues, which is why many rules also have many exceptions as well.
2. It would be very difficult to write a rule and have every exception and situation covered from the get go. Which is why J/R comes out with new editions, with new interpretations and new cases on an annual basis.
3. This is why rule 9 was made.
4. This is why umpires need to be more than rule robots and have some common sense.

We can discuss the fine points of this situation and I believe reasonable men can reasonably disagree. If every rule was already perfectly written and perfectly interpreted your precious J/R would be out of business.

For me, in this situation, where I believe there is ambiguity I am going to approach it with my sense of baseball logic.
1. I'm not going to penalize the defense because the offense can't read the lineup card.
2. I take outs wherever I can get them.(It's the real world, deal with it)
3. Whenever in doubt, refer to #2.
OK maybe 2&3 are a tad flippant. But until a definitive interpretation to the contrary is produced I stand by #1.

And may I say, it's a good thing you are a coach and not an umpire.
A rules geek ump that enforces every rule by the letter of the law, more times than not causes more problems than he solves.

I also understand your condescending and know it all attitude as evidenced in your response to my post. You're a coach, I expect nothing less.