Thread: Second guessing
View Single Post
Old Wed May 17, 2006, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

What about Rule 8.5.4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
rwest - sorry, that reply is incorrect from beginning to end. A player in the act of catching a ball has no protection, and in fact cannot be in the basepath while doing so or she risks committing obstruction (and the only reason the OP's sitch might not be OBS is that the runner didn't slow, and the contact was apparently so small that it didn't alter or slow her path --- MOST of the time, this exact play IS obstruction on F2).

There is no rule (other than a BR outside the running lane) that would cause interference to be called on a runner who unintentionally contacted a fielder who was fielding a thrown ball.
I believe there can be interference in this case based on Rule 8.5.4.B or at least there is no obstruction. The rule is poorly written, but I interpret it to mean that the fielder is protected in the act of "attempting to field a batted or thrown ball". Based on this rule, I don't believe you can call obstruction if a fielder is attempting to catch a thrown ball. Where am I wrong?