Thread: Rating Systems?
View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
If your going to have Coaches rate Umpires...

I think only a games WINNING coach should submit a rating.

I think we all know that when a team loses, it is primarily the fault of the crappy umpires. Especially that slug behind the plate !
In our state this is not at all true. In order to give a rating in our state it has to be done online and the rating has to come with a lot of questions. The IHSA also records if the team loses or wins. They found that the difference between winning and losing was a matter of decimal points. So there was no big difference in a rating from a winning coach and a losing.

Now in our state everyone makes the playoffs (only football you have to qualify for the post season with regular season record). So if they are screwing good officials and umpires, it could come back to haunt them. So I do not think there is much incentive to consider the umpire as the reason you lost a game. As it relates to baseball, we see a lot of the same coaches over and over and they might not agree with a call but they have a history of what you have done over the years or season.

Now I am not suggesting that this applies the same in other systems or other states, I am just stating that they have found this is not true as it relates to our system and we have had a rating system for almost 10 years. I know I liked it better than the previous system when coaches picked umpires they liked or knew and did not have any accountability to who was good and why.

Peace