View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Good point. We sometimes loose focus and forget that when we allow a bunch of B.S, someone else will have to clean it up later. I get tired of hearing "the last umpire we had..........."

Tim.
I heard that so much lately that I addressed the problem at our last meeting. These umpires had been allowing lead-off hitters to stand near the plate timing the pitchers' warm-up throws. I kept having to tell them every half inning that this practice is not allowed at any level of baseball. The coaches come back with, "none of the other umpires........" or "we let them do this." Well, the other umpires are wrong, and I'm not having it on my ballfield.

In pro ball, the batter would get one planted in his ear if he stood there timing the pitcher and bothering his warm-ups. I explain this, and that it is not done in the big leagues, so why do they think they can do it. I tell them that in pro ball they walk from the on-deck circle to the batter's box after the catcher sends it down to second base. That is when they are introduced. And as I explain to the coaches, since this is a youth league, we can't advocate throwing at the kid's head, so we are just not going to time the pitchers. They can do all the timing they want to over by their dugout.

Sorry for the rant, but I've had it up to my head with it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Tue May 16, 2006 at 12:55pm.