Thread: Rating Systems?
View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
In Illinois, each coach and is supposed to rate you for each game on a 1 to 5 scale. if you work with a certified official (highest promotion level) they must also rate you, but only once a year.

1 = Qualified to work state final contests
2 = Qualified to work sectional contests
3 = Qualified to work regional contests
4 = Qualified to work varsity contests
5 = Qualified to work underclass contests only

The ratings are averaged and then divided by number of ratings and you are given a percentile ranking. They do this to award officials who work more games.

The problem with the system is that coaches do not do their ratings. I have work 35 varsity games this year. I should have 76 ratings (worked with 6 certified officials) I have a total of 22 ratings. This makes it look like I have worked only 8 games all year.
I think the point needs to be made that the ratings of coaches and officials are only 5 points in a overall 30 point power rating system. Next year there will be another 5 points added to for attending camps. You will get more points for attending a Level 2 camp as compared to a Level 1 camp. I also think in our state we focus way too much on the ratings when the ratings are only a small percentage of what gets us into the playoffs. Also our state is very aware that schools do not rate officials often enough and it might seem to us that this is going to affect us in a negative way. The reality is they are looking for new people to fill spots all the time, especially in baseball because of the lack of numbers. This is why they go out and watch umpires, look for recommendations from associations and if they observe you directly all those ratings will not mean much of anything. I had Anthony Holman tell me directly to have our members on the Top 15 list (in another association) to send the IHSA their schedule for the season. He wanted to take the opportunity to watch several umpires and find people that are not normally getting a shot at the post season. I also know that similar things are being done in other sports as well. Trust me on this, the right recommendation can get you on the radar. Once you are on the radar, it is up to you to prove you deserve to stay there. I know officials in many sports that were rated very high and did not get any playoff games. It was not their ratings that sealed the deal.

Peace