View Single Post
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't see any way the OP's call could have been reversed. No pulled foot, no dropped ball - just two views of the same play. Which "overrules" the other if they differ, even if help is asked for? The one made by the calling official - who, even if lazy, is almost definitely in a better position to make the call.

And I, as BU in this sitch, would never ask for help either (unless coach mentioned something I TRULY didn't see ... like pulled foot, dropped ball, etc or I knew I was straight-lined by something). It's not arrogance - it's simply the fact that BU is inherently closer on this play (even if lazy). (And before you lambaste me for being an egomaniac umpire, I AM one of those who think umpires should ask for help WHEN WARRANTED).

Edit to add - if I'm PU in this sitch, my response is simply - "Coach, that is BU's call, you need to talk to him." Whether I saw something or not, this is exactly the words I use. If coach is bordering on beligerent, I might instead say, "Coach, that is BU's judgement call, you need to talk to him," hoping the reminder that it's a judgement call will cool him down a tad before he gets to BU.