View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49
3apples what league was this in most of the coaches I have in Ontario walk out as slow as posible to their pitcher barely asking for time as they cross the baseline.

Also if the comment wasn't said I a manner that was clearly meant to bring a reaction I probably wouldn't have said a thing about it. Often I will hear a similar comment as a coach turns away from the plate ie: 3rd base coach saying it while turning away towards left field. That is part of a rat being a rat, and often the only thing a ejection will do in that situation is to escalate things to a level you don't want to go. I have seen many umpires very good ones at that bait a coach into an ejection. Also I have seen many good coaches bait good umpires into a weak ejection to fire up a team.

Well it was that pseudo PBLO league u16, and that is part of the issue, this is my first year doing these guys. Now I have done some PBLO u18's, but never had a coach to this level of shear arrogance. But still, at least they look towards you and raise a hand, this guy just strolled. But It was never a real issue for me until the Argue, and he screamed time 3-4 times while a base runner was going to third, D had no chance on him, but it was his base runner. I normally do OBA where I have only coaches out on day passes and they call time for everything, equally as annoying. Also this coach said it while stomping down the line 2-3 steps looking at and pointing at the umpire. It was said like an order, not a flaberghasted statement. I'm not sure what I would have done, but neither were good strike in my book, that allows for some bickering in itself.

But I had my first ejection of the season today. Top of first player gets caught ducking from a nice curve, possibly a titch high, but finished beautiful, and the dude bailed enough - strike two, he then grounds out to end the inning. He starts complaining about the call as he turns to the dugout, My partner tells him to shut it and get to the dugout. (to get his gear and come out). Well he comes out and HE is the PITCHER. unreal, any way 4 or fifth batter he faces he throws a high fast ball outside corner but up, I call a ball, Partner in B, he turns around and complains, Partner calls time, and loudly warns him to stop complaining on Balls and Strikes. two innings later he throws a similar pitch at a batter who is short, Crosses at Her ( yes her) chin. I call a ball. He takes two steps towards me and Asks Where Did That one Miss?, rather sarcastic, I tell him it missed near the bench right where he is going and Coach get me a new player. He then says I was asking politely? LOL What can you do.