View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Carp errr crap

I think yours is a valid philosophy, Jiggy, but I disagree with some points. If I eject somebody, the odds are very, very good that I am angry with that person, and no matter how I would like to try, emotions are going to be part of that experience. The key is to act objectively and rationally despite or while feeling keyed up. Can I articulate why I dumped this guy? Can I write a report that is accurate and detailed that looks like a good reason to EJ after I've calmed down?

That's why I say, usually, one bark on one pitch, no problem, and I am not going to have rabbit ears about it. However, if it's one bark that goes something like, "You suck! That pitch was low! You're never working here again!" well, then, he goes home early- but more for personalizing the argument than for arguing balls and strikes.

Taking crap is not part of the job description, but any umpire who says he doesn't take any is fooling himself. My basic stance is to try to keep people in the game. So far, so good (for a while, anyway).

Strikes and outs!