View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
Each umpire has his own level of crap that they will take. Different umpires have different things that hate more than others.

As for me I hate it when a coach complains and starts waving his arms and getting overly animated. If he makes a comment I usually just let it slide off but if he keeps making comments then he'll have a problem.

I have ejected only 1 coach in 100+ games this season and it happened this past Saturday in a Pony League Mustang Div (10yo) game. It was the first little guy ball game that I have worked this season (helping a friend). It was interesting!

UMPIRES DO NOT GET PAID TO TAKE CRAP- ANY CRAP- ANY AMOUNT- PERIOD!

having said that...(and before everyone goes ape over that statement all by itself)

We as umpires have more than one tool in our chest. Especially as it pertains to balls and strikes from the dugouts or coaches boxes. My first reaction to his first outburst might be just to note who said it but not even acknowledge it (ignore). I took action, just not one everyone can see. If he keeps going (which they almost always will), i will acknowledge the second one (i.e. looking in his direction- if he says something then i may give a short response something like "that's a good pitch, a strike all day today"). Then I go back to work (I'm giving him every opportunity to shut up). If he pops of again, that's the last one: "hey!, that's enough. we're not gonna talk about pitches!" mask off and giving him the stop sign. Then it's up to him, next comment at all about pitches or my zone he just dumped himself. Obviously there may be instances when his actions or comments accelerate this process, that is the judgment we get paid the big bucks for. Balls strikes should be a fairly easy one to deal with in most cases without constricting him from talking at all and without me having to take any crap off of him without action. One HUGE thing to understand with ejections is (IMHO) that we have other tools in our chest, and we shouldn't be ejecting anyone because he "pissed me off" or "i hate it when they do _____" There are reasons to get run and then there are things that we don't like but aren't a reason to get run. It is part of our job not to make any decision on the field out of emotion or personal feelings one way or the other. An ejection should not be the result of being "fed up". If you are fed up, why didn't you handle it before you got "fed up"? Food for Thought.

-Benjamin Franklin