Thread: Rating Systems?
View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
How much stock do you put into these ratings and catagories?
i can name 5 managers/coaches whose ratings i would buy into if they were given to me. if i was to be evaluated by coaches, which im not, i probably wouldnt pay all that much attention to the ratings. [[edit: my state does rate for HS, as you will see in ajjl22's post. i dont work HS so i didnt really know anything about it so i didnt cover it]] id read all of them and see what was said, but when people get screwed, they like to take others down with them. i would guess that coach evaluations end up in an inverted bell curve -- having a lot of coaches give poor ratings, not that many in the middle, and then a bunch of coaches saying you were good. those coaches giving negative ratings probably got "screwed" on balk calls, so they want to bring you down with them. coaches get "screwed" on the outside corner, so they want to bring you down with them there too. thats not the right way to go about it, obviously, but we see that it is still done.

now as far as ratings from other umpires, there are a whole lot more that i would trust. my association has an evaluation program run by about 20 guys (bob jenkins is one of them) in which you can pay $20 and get 2 evaluations done. they come out to a game that you choose, fill out their eval sheet and leave comments. it doesnt have an effect on assignments, its just between you and the evaluator so that you can get better. something like that is something that i would buy into, and ill be doing so this summer.

Last edited by briancurtin; Tue May 16, 2006 at 10:52am.