View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Asking for help? What's the deal here?

What is the rule of thumb here? It seems like almost every close play in tournaments (12u ASA) is getting a time out called and a coach coming out, asking for help on the call. Too often, the BU does go to the PU and ask for help. We have had 6 calls over-turned this year and not even rightfully so. I'm a big fan of getting it right, but it's getting ridiculous. Close plays are close plays, coaches have to learn to live with it and Umps need to stop asking for help.

Yesterday, in an ASA 12-u tournament it happened to us again. Runner on 1st attempts to steal second. Ball and glove and player all arrive at the base at the same time. BU hesitates waiting for the F6 to show him the ball, or something, F6 reaches into the cloud of dust pulls out the ball with her bare hand, BU calls her safe.

Time out, other coach comes out, blah blah, BU goes to PU, blah blah, PU signals OUT. WHAAAAT?

Now, I'm sitting behind the fence with practically the same vantage point as the PU, give or take ten feet, and there is no way in heaven he could have determined with enough evidence to over-turn the call. Seriously, CLOUD OF DUST. The BU was in great position to see the call and if F6 would have lifted the glove with the ball in it and he called it out, I would have no problem, nor would our coaches have challenged the decision.

Point being, there are like 3 calls a game where the coaches come out and ask for help and get it. Where is the good ole days when you ask a BU for help and he says, "Nope, calls stands, I saw it."