View Single Post
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:47pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneonone
Hello,

I have a problem that is similar but on a greater level. I am a volunteer umpire with only 6 seasons worth of experience. I currently find myself in a Little League (FED rules) filled with coaches that feel that it is one of the "rights" of coaching to comment on any balls and strikes calls. I have pointed out that In their Little League rule books they will find rule 4.06(2) that prohibits them from using any language that makes reference to or reflects on umpires..players..other coaches. When I informed the local boards vice president of Softball (who also is a coach that advocates the right of coaches to openly question the balls and strikes), that violating this rule will be enforced with those penalties as directed by the official rule book. He then in formed me that I was no longer welcome to volunteer as an umpire.

I will tell you that this league suffers from a lack of volunteer umpires. No big surprise huh? Therefore most of the home games around here (district 15, Schoolcraft MI.) are umpired by a parent who has been drafted off the grass before the game! It will be my goal to bring organization and support structures into place that will foster a recruiting program for umpires, educational clinics, and above all, a Little League home environment that will nurture new umpires as they grow and learn and possible make mistakes.

This season I have only Dads at my training disposal and they have assured me that they have no interest in being embarrassed throughout a game by the coaches running commentary. I have instructed them that the rules support a warning then an ejection for commenting on their balls and strikes calls. It isn't going win them popularity contests but the coaches will soon learn of the "rights" the do and don't have. I know that I am drawing a hard line, but when faced with a "Wild West" league whose board allows the coaches to interpret that rules as they wish, is there any other way deal with this.

I apologize for the length of my post. I don't wish to be like the other umpires in this area who came before me and just threw up there hands and walked away. Any guidance from you seasoned umpires out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in advance
Mike Devenney
Mike,

First, Little League rules are based on OBR rules, not FED rules, which govern most High School ball.

Secondly, unless they are using foul language when jumping on your strikezone, then they haven't violated Rule 4.06(a)(2), which is intended for use when the manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy uses foul language and aims it personally at anyone at the ballpark.

The rule you want is Rule 9.02(a) which states that any judgment call you make shall not be objected to. If they get on your strike zone, get it shut down right away by warning the offending party to stay off your strike zone. Any further comments about judgment calls, you eject the offender from the game.

As far as not getting cooperation from the league vice-president, where is the president? It is his responsibility to instruct the coaches as to the absolute power of the umpire, and that coaches do not have the right to ride roughshod over the umpires. They need to no that they will be ejected from games for persistent arguing, and that it will include a one-game suspension as well.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25