View Single Post
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Report the facts please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Yeah, but if enough of them complain (fairly or not) to management...then management may listen...which may resolve the dispute in AMLU's favor...

Perception is everything. For instance, if everyone had thought that the Young incident happened because the umpire was a replacement then that would have been good for AMLU. (I'm not saying everyone did think that...as I said above I for one don't). But if enough "clueless" players and managers think the replacements are to blame for various things (right or wrong) AND more and more complain to management that is good for AMLU's position.

The other thing that would be good for AMLU's position, of course, is if various media has stories stating that the replacements are causing various problems. This also puts pressure on management.

I believe this behavior on the major league level helped bring about desirable results in past MLB umpires strikes.
The US media should not be used for self-serving purposes. The AMLU should report the facts. A 20% payraise and $40 per diem doesn't sound like the moon and the stars. Baseball has generated record REVENUES over the last 5 years and umpires have not seen a DIME over the last 10 years. The question remains should single A umpires bring home $12,000 per year, AA umps $18,000 per year and AAA umps $24,000 per year? I find that baseball can put UP the money. It just doesn't want too.