View Single Post
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
My point, such as it was, was in response to WWTB or DIV2 or the numerous other people on this board who think that AMLU is wrong, at least tactically to strike because of the hundreds if not thousands of other, just as qualified umpires out there just itching to take their places. Argue logically. Please. Leave the bait and switch off of this board.
Don't put words in my mouth or mischaracterize what I've written for over six months. I never wrote that they were wrong to strike because of the presence of a capable replacement workforce presence. I have insisted that striking - after you knew the bargain going into it - looks petty. I also wrote that most of us agree that they should be paid more for their talent. Few of us dispute that they are better qualified to serve that game than the average amateur. However, the replacements have been up to the task (with a few exceptions), the average fan doesn't care about the AMLU situation and the AMLU brass has selectively targeted amateurs with threats and intimidation. Those are mistakes.

The recent cry that the media has finally taken notice is laughable. A few local beat reporters are looking to make a name for themselves. I never realized that umpires gave so much creedence to what a skipper or player said about the calls. Yet, these same jokers who call themselves professional are posting stories on their site extolling how smart the skippers and players must be. So let me ask you this AMLU gang...when you walk onto the field and the skipper says, "Wow, we had a crew here last series that was just brutal. The zone was all over the place and they didn't know where they should be to make certain calls." Do you ignore them and accept the fact that most of them don't even know a basic balk when they see it, much less umpire mechanics? That's what I was taught to do, but apparently you find that ripping apart another crews' job is acceptable and professional. The beauty of this is that you will be out there some day and tell that same skipper that he doesn't know what he's talking about when he challenges you or your partner(s).