View Single Post
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Exactly...the team's front office official (i.e. the team's President in the that story) says, "everything's going great. The replacements are doing just as good a job." (to paraphrase). Of course he would say that, he's clearly on the managment side of the MiLB/AMLU debate. His immediate boss, and the person he represents, is the team owner(s) who will have to pay the umps more. I haven't seen one team or league President (or team owner) say anything different.

However, in the same story, his own on-the-field manager says, (to paraphrase again) "No one should worry about the replacements, but we need the regulars back." Of course, he won't say anything bad about the replacements ...he's worried they'll read what he says because he still has to deal with them every day. But, there's no hiding that he clearly states that he wants the regulars back.

Seems to be that's another story of an on-field manager, coach or farm director saying we need the regulars back, despite what the person who signs their paycheck thinks.
We're apparently not disagreeing about much here, but if the managers don't care what the regulars think then why would they care what the replacements think?
And yes I was being slightly sarcastic.