View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 26, 2001, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I posted this on the other board, I just wanted to see the opinions of the people who do not necessarily post on both boards. I love ya Tony, but I already know how you feel.

This is what I do not understand. The NF in the POE used the language "moving screen" as a discription of illegal contact. But "moving screen" is one of those things that coaches complain is happening without much contact, like "over the back." And the term "moving screen" is no where in the rulebook other than the POE. The language to me of "moving screen" suggests that all you need is for a screen to be moving, rather than some kind of contact or displacement to even take place. Because I could be moving away from a defender while making my screen, and contact can occur. Does that mean I should be whistled for a foul if I was in a screen and moving away from an on coming defender? That is usually what happens on pick and roll. Is it me, or is the terminology flawed?

Rookie Here....I see moving screens all the time in 6th - 8th grade games....I hear the bench gorilla (Coach) over there yelling "moving screen, moving screen". Two questions:

A) do I go over to my rules challenged friend and explain no contact = screen ok or should I leave him alone....I guess that goes for other sitch's where there is a clear deficiency in rules understanding (3 secs, OTB, etc)

B) My guess on the correct call if there is contact is either blocking or hold on the offense. Comments?

Larks - Veteran In Training