Thread: Rising fastball
View Single Post
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Kaliix]SAump,
Your fanciful workings of lift and physics aside, don't you realize that if a pitcher actually threw a rising pitch, that it would likely be uncatchable by F2 and probably over the batters head?

A pitcher releases the ball at a height of 6 feet or more (in relation to ground on which the batter stands). It wouldn't be a very effective pitch if it actually rose.

If you're definition of a rising fastball is any ball that crosses the plate higher than the release point then I think most people could accomplish it.

I think most people that believe an exceptional pitcher can throw a rising fastball define it this way:

Let's say the trajectory of the ball at release places the ball 3' above the ground when it crosses the front of the plate, but instead it crosses the plate higher than 3', the ball has risen relative to it's original trajectory even though the release point was well above 3'.

Based on your thoughts of a rising fast ball I wonder how others that argue against it would define what a rising fastball looks like.