View Single Post
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Admittedly, it is difficult to eat healthy on $22 a day. I lived on five dollar breakfasts and lunch at Hardees and McDonalds while coming up. Yeah, those hotdogs get tiresome - so do nachos and local sponsor fare. My partner drove that first year and he packed a cooler full of stuff for us. We would take the cracker packets, individual ketchup and mustards, salt and pepper shakers and whatever we could get our hands on at the park, friends' places or restaurants. We ate tons of cup o' noodles and figured out fifty ways to make mac n' cheese better. We grumbled and got by without getting fat.

That said, NO ONE FORCED US TO SIGN ON AND TAKE THE JOB! We knew going in that it would be tough. Hell, most of had just finished college and knew what it was like to live that way. I ironed my clothes on the floor of the locker room. I took plenty of cold showers, slept in the car and learned to say, "Shhh, you'll wake my partner." when in a flea bag somewhere. That is part of the deal. That first season is rough - the pressure is intense and the lifestyle lacking. Anyone who signs up for the next season and complains is just a joke. Did you think things would change going to the next level?

What's the adage - "Fool me once...