Thread: "Honey Bunny"
View Single Post
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 07:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
This discussion is not about my mother or her opinion. The point I was making was to suggest that there are people that are have studied these things as their living (last time I checked I have not read anyone that studies in the field of Gender and or issues of race).

I also did not just suggest that this was something that people are to be offended by; I said that this is something that suggests a role and a way of conduct based on the use of the word. Usually in the terms of calling a gender a "lady" or a "gentleman" on its own in the context of a basketball game would not be offensive to me personally or anyone I know. But the term is not just about a game.

I also find it funny that this issue cannot be raised, but when it deals with race or challenging other aspects of life (that have been discussed on this board), then that is out of line. Then raising this issue is all about "political correctness" and people just finding ways to be offended. I look at this situation like this. If this is horse manure, so is all the posts, claims and ways people here find ways to be offended. You PM'd me over something that offended you. Why is this situation OK Mark and the use of a term so out of line?

It makes me think that the composition and the background of the people who are not offended have something to do with how you view this issue. I live my life to try to not offend people and not be a stubborn *** to tell others they should not feel that way because I am not personally affected.

Peace

Rut:

If you try not to offend people then you are bowing to the pressure of the political correctness police. With regard to the socialogy academics who "study" these things, my advice to them is to get a life and find a real job. This country has its share of problems, but we do not need to be told that it is insulting to address a person in a civilized manner and treat them with respect.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio