View Single Post
Old Mon May 08, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLawyer
The press has been reporting $15k as the pay for a AAA umpire. This is the figure a friend of mine in AAA confirms. Maybe PBUC should get out in front and tell people exactly how generous- oh wait a minute . . . then they'd have to talk about the entire embarrasing pay scale.
Maybe everyone earning minimum wage should go on strike?

Quote:
Who "forces" them to work minor league ball? Nobody. Who "forces" baseball to use umpires? When I was a kid, we played many a game of sandlot ball with no umpire. Does MiLB need umpires? Or can we just send the teams out there night after night and have them call their own? Honor system, fellas.
I believe that there have been umpires at all of the MiLB games this season.

Quote:
The next time you go to ask for a raise from your boss, ask yourself who forces you to work there.
When you go to ask your boss for a raise you must be prepared for two things to happen:
1. Your boss will say no
2. Your boss will say yes.

If #1, three things can happen:
a. You can accept your bosses "no" answer.
b. You can find a new job.
c. You can hang around, complaining untill your boss gets fed up and replaces you.

If #2,
a. You accept the amount offered to you and be thankful.
b. You get angry with the offer and find a new job.
c. You can hang around, complaining until your boss gets fed up and replaces you.

Quote:
The one thing we haven't been talking about is the upward and downward pressure a longterm strike is likely to put on other levels of baseball. It will put upward pressure on the Majors, because if MiLB fires or "replaces" on a permanent basis all of the AMLU umps, the Majors will have no new umpires ready in the long term to replace retiring umps. In the short term, anybody they bring up as replacements during the season for vacationing or injured umpires will be (a) untrained and probably unqualified and (b) if scabs, likely to get exactly the same reception scabs got in the 1979 season of big league ball. It has already put downward pressure on college and high school umpires. I don't know about everybody else in the country. Here in Arkansas, we don't have enough umpires, period, let alone enough good umpires. When MiLB mines our top guys to come work AA games, the rest of our schedule pays the price by having umps work games they are probably not ready to work.
Do you seriously think that there aren't hundreds of former and future umpire school grads that will jump at the chance to work MiLB games if the strikers do not return? Do you really think that of all the thousands of umpires in the country that these 220 MiLB umpires are the only ones good enough to handle the job?

The MiLB umpires will still accept jobs as "fill ins" for MLB. They aren't striking all of baseball.