View Single Post
Old Sat May 06, 2006, 11:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradwxyz
IN my previous queston, I will explain what happened. A Players was recorded in the official scorebook. He did not show up for the game until the beginning of the 2nd half. The coach on the other team said that since he showed up late he is allowed to play but the team is chareged a technical foul as a result of him showing up late. is this correct.

Also could some one explain the difference between an intentional, flagragrant and technical flagrant and the penalities for each. I am a little confused on this.

Thanks so much.
If he's in the book, he can come in at any time without penalty. The other coach was either wrong or lobbying for some free shots. The rule book only mentions the score book, we can't know when a player arrived at the game (he could have been taking extra time taping his ankle in the locker room for all we know.)

Intentional foul: A foul against a player where the guilty party is not making any sort of legitimate basketball play on the ball. Examples: Pushing a shooter from behind in the back without even pretending to slap at the ball; or grabbing a player by the jersey to prevent him from taking advantage of his better positioning. This is a judgment call, and also can be applied to an overly hard foul where the player was trying to get the ball. Penalty is two shots and the ball out of bounds at the spot nearest the foul.

Technical foul: A dead ball contact foul, or an unsportsmanlike conduct foul. Penalty, two shots and the ball at midcourt.

Flagrant foul: Can be either personal or technical. "Flagrant" is simply a qualifying term meaning that the player is automatically ejected immediately.