View Single Post
Old Thu May 04, 2006, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Any umpire with more than just a couple of games under his belt who claims he has never forgotten the count or the number of outs is either delusional or a liar.

And in a single man game, if you forget the count (forget to roll the wheel on your indicator, or can't remember if you did), then your only recourse is to

a) avoid giving the count, and
b) pray for a base hit.

If you forget the number of outs, just hope you have a good catcher to help you out (when she gives the number of outs to her team, and nobody objects, then you know!).
I guess that I must be in the minority. After each pitch, regardless of what happens or if I have to move out of F2's way I automatically advance my indicator. It's become so automatic for me over the past 20+ years that I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time I forgot the count. But if I did and I was working solo I would turn to the scorekeeper and ask what the count was. I wouldn't stop giving the count or pray for a base hit.

How can you forget the outs? Try giving the count after each pitch and repeat the number of outs. It's really not that much to remember and you have your indicator to use.....

It boils down to the umpire not keeping their head in the game.