Thread: Tomegun
View Single Post
Old Tue May 02, 2006, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I work high school and college; one pays more, but I love basketball!

Las Vegas is my adopted home, but I currently live in the Washington DC metro area (Maryland). Basketball in Vegas - on the West Coast IMO - is watered down compared to the East Coast. An example would be the Easter Classic. Las Vegas put a lot of teams in the tournament, but only one of them (that I saw in the 17-under division) could compete with teams from out of town. Now, take that one competitive "all-star" team from Vegas and they wouldn't win very many high school leagues in this area.

Another example would be the email I just got this morning. An AAU team from here, the DC Assault, just beat a team with the #1 and #2 players in the country (OJ Mayo and Bill Walker) on it. The leading scorer was a kid that plays on DeMatha and is going to Georgetown; he didn't get to the game until 6 minutes left in the first half and finished with 30 points.

A final example; a lot of people know about Oak Hill's legendary basketball program. All 5 starters from this past season's 40-1 squad are from the Washington DC area.

Hey, you are from Ohio; where exactly? I'm originally from Richmond, Indiana which is right on the boarder.
I couldn't agree more with you. Now if we could only get some of the people out here who think that they are so big time to understand this...