View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 29, 2006, 02:07pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Is this the big news you were referring to?

Most everyone in the world knew that the AMLU boys are striking for more money and improved benefits. The fact that PBUC intimated that they could be fired was a mistake but doesn't diminish the original issue. The Minor League umpires walked out - most of us have said that - and replacement umpires - most intelligent people use this term - have worked in their stead.

I enjoy the banter but it seems funny that you hung your hat on the idea that progress would be made. PBUC still holds the reins and the AMLU boys are still looking for scraps.

Most of the regular contributors to this board have lng held that the best umpires for that job are not working them. Even yours truly has maintained that the strike is a bad idea and they should continue to work for PBUC. Depsite your insistence, there is little passion for this matter on my end. I just can't belive that a few days ago you proclaimed that a huge step would be taken towards ending this strike. I didn't even see a baby step.

For what it's worth, does anyone recall the horror stories told by 'Minor League' umpires about how they were threatened or intimidated on the field and off. I believe one umpire told of having a player in a dugout fling a ball at him. Now we are hearing the bat story like it is only relevant to replacement umpires. The pinhead who launched it is the weak link here, not the other way around.

The MiLBU did NOT walkout. The union went on strike. When a contract expires and a new on is not in place, the union can continue to work under the old contract until a new one has been adopted or it can go on strike. The MiLBU choose to go on strike and the umpires who choose to replace them can be called anything you want to call them, but they did stab their fellow brother sports officials in the back by working the games during a strike.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio