View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

ggk,

(Comments in the context of OBR.) There's a whole lot of umpire judgement on this play.

I believe the key factor that the umpire must judge is whether the F3 still had a legitimate chance to retire a runner (either the BR or another runner if there was one) absent the collision. If the F3 did have such a chance, then I believe that interference would be the proper call, the ball would be dead, the BR would be declared out, and any other runner(s) would be returned to their TOP base.

If, on the other hand, the F3 did not have a legitimate chance to retire a runner at the time of collision, I believe the proper call would be Type A Obstruction, the ball would be dead, the BR would be awarded 1B, and any other runner(s) would be awarded whatever base the umpire judged they would have achieved absent the obstruction.

Another aspect of umpire judgement on the play would be whether the BR was simply legitimately trying to advance to 1B, or whether he intentionally altered his path in order to collide with the F3; and, if so, whether his conduct was such as to be considered malicious or unsportsmanlike.

The fact that the runner was outside the running lane really has no bearing on the play because that only comes into play when a runner interferes with a fielder's ability to receive a throw at 1B.

JM

Last edited by UmpJM; Thu Apr 27, 2006 at 11:22pm.