View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Batted Ball striking runner

Coach here, had a call go against us last night that I thought was a rule mis-interp.

R1 on second R2 on first batted ball strikes R2 as she is heading for second. BU calls R2 out and places batter at first and places R1 at third. I asked why R1 was put on third because she had not reached third at the time of interference and should be returned to second. He agreed that R1 had not reached third at the time of interference but because a force situation existed at the time of the pitch the runner on second was forced to run to third. So he placed her on third.

Here is the text of the rule 8-1E3:

.....if it (the ball) passes an infielder and another infielder has an opportunity to make an out, the runner (struck by the batted ball) is out and the batter-runner is entitled to first base without liability to be put out. Any runner not forced by the batter-runner must return to the base reached prior to the interference. (parenthesis mine)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I interpret the above rule as saying we have to put the batter on first, and in so doing that forces us to move other runners forward if necessary to put the batter on first. In this sitch, however, with R1 being called out, R2 was not forced to be given third and should have been returned to second.

Blue does a lot of our local tournaments/games and I promised him an email whichever way you guys and gals interpret this sitch.