View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 01:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
1) Ball is in A's frontcourt. Everyone gets confused (start of the half, perhaps) and A1 goes from his frontcourt into his backcourt on a breakaway. B1 fouls A1 as A1 is going in for a layup. Referee signals foul while umpire comes running in and clears up the issue: A1 shot at his opponent's basket, so there's certainly no free throws or made shot. R/U talk and decide that the ball should have become dead when A1 committed the backcourt violation. That's where I'm putting the ball into play at the division line, B's ball. No foul.
That's nice. And what do you do if you don't catch that A violation until B goes the other way and scores or misses also? Flip a coin to see what team you're gonna call the backcourt violation against? Again.... you have absolutely NO rules basis to do what you're suggesting. Aamof, you're completely going against the written rules(i.e. the case plays already cited) if you try to do what you're advocating, all you are doing is making up your own rules and ignoring the ones that we already have. Somehow, I really don't think that's the right way to handle this situation. Bad advice imo.