View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA67
Got the following last year from our state UIC. Good simple guidelines for OBS/INT.

We all might need a reinforcement of the obstruction rule. I have had emails about catcher 's setting up and blocking the base path without the ball many times this season. We as umpires need to be proactive and get that catcher out of the way to avoid an obstruction call on a play at the plate. The whole intent of the rule change was to reduce injuries.

To boil it all down:
About to receive has been removed from the rule book except in the NCAA.
No possession of the ball before a collision = obstruction.
Possession of the ball before a collision = nothing (assuming a legal slide and not USC).
A runner altering her path or slowing to avoid a player without possession of the ball = obstruction.
Runners colliding with or hindering a player fielding a batted ball = interference.
Get the fielders out of the way! Or be ready to enforce the rules.
Not bad, not complete, but a good place to start. My only problem is the emphasis of "get the fielders out of the way". Did s/he give you any suggestions on how to effect this move?

I will not tell a player where to stand, but I will let them know of the repercussions should they cause obstruction. I would be afraid an over-zealous umpire may take such a statement to heart and begin holding up play and moving fielders, or get a little over-officious in ruling OBS before it actually occurs.

It's hard enough getting coaches to understand that a runner stopping 60' away because a player happens to be what she perceives is in her way is not OBS without having umpires go out there and actually making such a rulling.