View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToGreySt
I've been playing baseball for as long as I can remember, but I've never done any umpiring at any level. The high school association here in New Hampshire has a 6 week clinic to get new umpires ready for the season. does everybody start out at lower levels then worked their way up to HS? has anyone started at HS?

Joe
I worked my very first baseball game behind the plate in a varsity non-conference double header. I read two books from Carl Childress published by Referee Magazine. I read both books cover to cover in order to get a step up on my first game. Fortunately I did work a full season of football and basketball so I was prepared for the type of "people" issues that I was going to face on the baseball diamond.

In my state all you have to do is get a license by passing a test and passing a background check and receiving references from people associated with the IHSA (coaches, administrators and officials). If someone wants to hire to HS games it is up to the assignor. Of course you might not start out at the varsity level like I did, but you can still work games at the HS level in my area from the very beginning.

Peace