View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I think we're on the same page

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
David B:

For the most part I agree with you. On plays where you start in A position, you should be able to get 99.99% of your calls.

The 2 man system is a series of compromises. If we worked 3 or 4 man the majority of our games then I would expect the instances of asking for help at 1b would be virtually non-existent.

I believe that to assume that we should never ask for help, and that we live and die by an erroneous call, where our partner might have the perfect view, is a fallacy that does the game a disservice.

Bob P.
I think we agree a lot more than you wrote. As I stated "if the BU gets in position then he doesn't have to ask".

Therein lies the problem - we have way too many officials who are lazy and simply don't work hard to get in position.

That is why we have so many threads on getting help.

Certainly there are times we will have to ask, but as i mentioned in my first post, they will be very few and far between ....

I think we do young umpires a disservice if we don't state the obvious. Its the BU's call, make the call.

Someone mentioned a play in the MLB last season, there is no way they are going to ask for help on that play, and no way I'm going to ask for help on that play. (Sometimes you just have to umpire, its not a perfect science)

thanks
David