View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Because

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
David, how can you assume that the BU was out of position on this play? The original post states that the BR was called out on the tag, and that the U1 called it as such. Sounds to me that the coach was just trolling for a "second opinion", he set the hook and he caught something. That's bad!!!

This brings up the importance of a thorough pre-game meeting between partners. Make sure you both ( or all of you) know that no one will approach a partner without being asked by the partner.

I reiterate that in the pre-game plate meeting . " If you want to discuss a call, ask for time, when it is granted, go to the umpire who made the call. We want to get the call right." If they forget (they always do), and if they come to me on my partners call, I redirect them.

Something I also discuss in the partner pre-game is the concept of asking for help on plays where my partner might need it, before the coach even asks. This saves a lot of time and eliminates problems. It goes something like this, "partner, if you need my help, just ask, but do it before the coach says something".

Now, if my partner has a good look at the play, and he/she is convinced they got it right, how can I jump in and "over rule" that? Do other's have a different approach to handling this?

Bob P.
If you are in position you will never have to ask anyone about a call.

The only way you have to ask is if you are out of position. I'm not saying that I've never asked for help on a play, but out of many thousands of calls, I can count on one hand the number of times (with the checked swing being the exception)

The BU is to call the bases and its his call, not the PU.

I've had several instances this year when even with a good pregame I've had the BU out of position and looking at me as PU for help.

Make the call and live with it (that will make you a better ump down the road)

Thanks
David