View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:20pm
Huck Finn

My comments were not intended to put down someone who has no aspirations for doing college ball; I think I made it a point to highlight some of the BS that goes along with college ball.
If camp would be considered the summer season and/or practice, many officials that only want to do HS ball need to "play up" during the summer. As pointed out previously, many officials only attend camp when they are required and then they only go to their local camp. Going to a camp that might have better ball and/or instruction will only help. Isn't it only fair to be as prepared as possible when doing a HS game?
Along with college aspirations comes rules knowledge, game awareness, repitition, physical fitness (awareness of the necessity) and other things. Shouldn't those same things be put into an officials preparation for HS games.
I will speak from my own experience and I will tell you, if you have kids in the area where I work...good luck. Some of the officials aren't worth the whistle in their mouth. Their main concern is getting the big game, which they aren't ready for many times, and getting paid. The pursuit of the perfect game - which will probably never happen - should be a driving force for us all. Doesn't the saying go something like, "Shoot for the moon and at least you will be among the stars?"