View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
I've always been more worried about someone suing me for damaging one of their $500 bats than the chance that I might hit someone. Never really considered that a possibility, but nonetheless, the most I'll do (if time permits and the bat is right in the basepath or on the plate), is step in front of it and drag my foot so that it ends up behind me. I don't kick it - just drag it a yard at most.
You just don't touch the equipment. If a bat is in the way, it is the ODB's responsibility to clear it, not the umpire's. If that is an issue for the team, they shouldn't drop their bat. The rules allow for them to carry it away from the plate area.

Years back, I use to be one of those who kicked it out of the way, but how do you know the bat isn't moving to another position which could be equally as dangerous or interfere with the play. A discarded bat is part of the game, a bat moved ANYWHERE is not.