View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Strange play

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
New question from another board.

"College baseball. Bases loaded, nobody out. Batter hits soft fly ball to center field. 3rd base coach tells runner at 3rd that the ball is not hit deep enough to score....but tag up, fake running home, draw the throw and see what happens (i.e. bad throw, dropped ball by catcher..what ever). Throw from CF hits lip of grass in front of home plate, ball hits catchers glove, hits his leg and goes between his legs and hits the on deck batter (who is against the screen in case there is a play at the plate he can tell the runner to slide, stand up etc.) Ball bounces off the on deck batter and bounces directly to the pitcher, who is behind the catcher. Nobody advances, nobody attempts to advance. Homeplate ump calls interference on the on deck batter then rules the runner on 3rd out. Is there any call to be made? (3rd base coach didn't think so....and after discussing the heritage of the umps parents got tossed!) "

Thanks!
That's an unusual play; however, if the on deck batter doesn't intentionally try to interfere I can't see a penalty being applied here.

Why reward the defense for a bad play is how I look at this type of play.

I would think the umpire definitely erred in this play - I would like to see which rule he applied for the situation.

Thanks
David