Thread: Situation
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
The first question is whether the spectator was helping the fielder (no rule) or interfering with the fielder retrieving the ball (spectator interference). If the latter, I might go with "the spectator has entered the field of play by kicking the backstop fence and pushing the ball"; or just use Rule 10 as mc suggested. .
It was definitely a case of the fan helping the catcher. I believe it was the catcher's younger brother. I did not call anything at the time because there was no effect on the play.

The coach was already miffed at me since it was my fault that her pitcher couldn't throw strikes . I was getting beat to death because the catcher couldn't handle the ball. I probably should have dealt with the coach anyway but after the half inning, I simply informed the fan not to do that again because I would award bases. That ticked his parents off but if he is going to help the catcher make a play, something would need to be called. I really don't have a rule because a blocked ball sends runners to the last base touched and a pitched dead ball awards one base from the bases occupied. IS rule 10 the ASA "God Rule?" I don't have my rules at work is there an equivalent Fed rule? I seem to remember that the umpires can make judgments in areas not specifically covered by the rules.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"