View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

tips for improving posture and balanced positioning?

Just finished with the first camp of the summer and have compiled a list of target areas (i.e. pick out the major areas of concern "I was told about") and am planning how to address each area. One major need is undoing 40+ years of walking with posture that is defined by a sagging head. I'm going to google this topic but thought this forum would be a good source of insight into how to address posture. I am moderately tall (a tad over 6'1", which means I look like one of the really short guys on an NBA court!).

The only back pain I've ever experienced is when I try to "stand tall" during games, which tells me I am probably 'standing tall' incorrectly, but figuring out how to correctly stand tall is a bit of a challenge [too old to join the military!]. I find it to be a bit disorienting to hold my head high because I am used to having the floor directly under me in my peripheral vision, but now that's gone!

The other piece that seems to go with posture is standing with balance. I have gotten much better at this, but still notice some tendency to lean rather than move my feet for the best angle. I think that if I work on a balanced stance then I will conquer any tendency to lean... I believe that working on posture is a good step towards standing with balance. I do feel a bit disoriented, which is distracting, and there is muscle tension, etc. which I take as a sign that I do not quite have it right yet. My search of threads on this forum did not turn up anything specifically useful.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.