View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorg
As I took the photo I can speak for it. That photo was taken on Friday, April 14th in San Antonio, TX. I only posted that image here. It was not opening night. There were no special event being celebrated at the ballpark that night. The first and third base umpires wore identical hats. The home plate umpire wore a solid navy fitted cap without any logos.

Where else was this photo posted a discussed? I would like to read any discussion related to this image so that I can clear up any speculation. I was under the impression that you could not browse the AMLU forums unless you are a current minor league umpire.

This photo was posted on UmpNews and the AMLU site. The doubt surrounding your integrity centers on the fact that you said the photo came from last night's game. The photo has been present in the same form on other sites prior. I'm not sure why further discussion is required.

For what it is worth, unless you were in the umpires' locker room or privy to the assignor's phone calls, I find it difficult how you would ascertain what uniform they would wear. I've seen photos of the replacement umpires wearing the navy blue, black and light blue uniforms so far. I guess, like many crew chiefs and ball park management, the decision is left to them. Their is no union or officially accepted uniform any longer. Compliance is not an issue - getting the call correct is. But then again, that is another topic.

Counselor (yes, you CB) - I am dealing with this in a most certain form of levity. I require no mood altering substance to maintain my sanity with these members. I appreciate the concern, but if you've looked back you'll find that I too had hoped for the union boys to be working these games. They chose not to and that is the crime. The game is bigger than any umpire. The replacements are getting a rare opportunity to work some good ball. The fans want to be entertained and let's face it, a controversial call is entertaining. The league recognizes the bottom line and they are saving money with the replacements. They pay no per diem, hotel expenses or benefits. They have little cause to attend future bargaining talks. Yes, I said these things long ago too.

Otherwise, I hope your games are going well. I found a new part of the hamstring that hadn't been hurt until recently. Most of us look like Evil Kneivel at the end of his career, this early in the Spring. Hope you're not getting out your stars and stripes suit yet.