View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 06:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
All he's done is ask you to provide substance to your claim that the amature umpires were using derogatory terms to describe the AMLU members. Each time he's asked you've done your usual little dance to skirt the truth, which is you have no way of providing that substance. You either lied or misspoke. It's alright though, we're used to you being either dishonest or ill-informed.
I did not say there was anything said derogatory from my point of view. That was not my position at all. I do not see a discussion of opinions as derogatory. I did say that what he considered inflammatory is just as inflammatory on the other side. I said that if he feels that the term "scab" was inflammatory, I feel that other comments were inflammatory as well. There is nothing about a union dispute in an industry that I do not work or associate myself with as something inflammatory. There are bigger things in life for me personally than a word about replacement umpires. Now remember this “my” opinion and he was called on his position by more people than me on this very issue. This is not a court of law and I do not have to prove anything to you or anyone else. Now if that affects my credibility with you, so what. You work a level I have not worked in 9 years. You live in a state I do not live and you live in an area I will probably never go for a baseball game. We also likely will not ever work together. So my credibility with you and a bunch of internet umpires is the least of my concern. I umpire as a hobby; it is not life or death.

I also think it is silly to say the word "scab" is inflammatory when it is not only the term is in the dictionary for describing a person that crosses the picket line, but is the term used in many, many union disputes to describe people who replace in union workers during a strike. Now I guess you do not understand what an "opinion" is rather than a fact. If I feel George Bush is an idiot that is my opinion. I do not have to verify my opinion with an objective sources or examples to make others happy.

Quote:
As far as my discussion board goes you know nothing about my motives for creating the group or anything about the nearly 100 members who've joined and are posting there. There was a need to have a discussion board for all the newer or rookie umpires that were being turned away from this and other boards for asking what some felt were remedial questions. They come to my board and ask these questions without fear of receiving scorn from those who forget where they started.
I cannot even believe you responded to my very sarcastic comment about your internet dealings. Most umpires I know never come to the internet to learn anything about umpiring. If they want to learn something they can attend camps or go to association meetings where they can verify the backgrounds of the people that are giving presentations and teaching concepts. Maybe there is a need where you are. Where I live the need is fulfilled by those that run our associations. This place for me is pure entertainment and to pass time between work and games.

Quote:
I don't need anyone to support my positions, Jeff. I'm a big enough man to be swayed when I'm wrong, and debate when I feel I'm right. I've yet, in all the time I've been reading your posts seen you do the same, although you do screw up quite a bit and never admitt it.
It always cracks me up with people like you and many others that come to these internet sites. You obviously do not know what the definition of "debate" means. Debate is when people give opposing positions. Much of debate is based on a person's experiences and personal philosophies. I vote for a certain political party because of my feelings and experiences and I will debate with people about those positions. I am not going to change my “opinion” because someone brings up a certain point. If you do not stand for something you will fall for anything.

Tim, if you actually read my posts you will realize that almost all are about philosophies and experiences that I have had in officiating. Then based on those experiences I share my “opinion” as to what is the best thing to do in certain situations. I do not know about you, but if you go to a camp of any kind you might hear 5 different opinions on one subject and all the individuals giving their opinions. I have literally been to basketball camps and was told one thing while I am at one end of the court. Then I run to the other end and a different person says something completely different than the first person. Then I go back to the other end and someone says something completely different then the first two people and all were addressing the same issue. I went to a D1 camp last summer and the supervisor of the camp told us we will here different things from all of his clinicians including him. He told us to get over it and when we leave pick what we like and throw out what we do not like.

If you do not like what I have to say and you do not agree with me that I OK. I really do not care either way. The sun will rise whether you like what I say or not.

Peace