Thread: Hot threads
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Spaman_29
I also must add some remarks to this post. I have only been a member of this forum for less than two months, but I have found it quite rewarding and sometimes disappointing. I like when officials do state their case and back themselves up with the rulebook. I also wonder how literal some rules are applied. When I read that an 8th grade game is being worked and the uniform is a big concern I have to wonder how many games the official has been working. Yes, you are there to enforce the rules and maybe some states are stricter than others, but for heaven sakes, let the kids play the game and worry about being in the right spot at the right time.

I also agree that the higher the level that you officiate the more liberal you like the rules to be. Because you generally need all the wiggle room you can get at times.
Something that I really don't see too often is that of having fun. I feel that most officials started because they wanted a little bit of a challenge, and it turned out to be a little bit exciting for them. Or they have an ego that needs fed and they couldn't find any other way. May I suggest law enforcement.

I personally officiate for the thrill of the game. I am somewhat dismayed at how some officials are content where they are at. If you are not doing something to move then I think that you need to question what you are doing and why.

I hope that the younger officials will listen, learn the rules, but most important -- learn how to apply the rules. That is why you need to officiate at the lower levels. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong in the lower levels. IMHO, The higher you go the easier it is to officiate. So stay the course, push your way through the politics, and grow some thick skin.