View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatWuzThatBlue
Uh, oh...you mean there were complaints about the strike zone???

Someone call Eric Gregg and see if he can help.

The complaints about inconsistent strike zone coverage are as old as the game. I can't believe that is the article you chose to post. Interviewing a skipper after a loss and he claims that he can't recall a worse strike zone...lah me!
Hey Windy/WWTB: lighten up. You asked for "legitimate news stories" [or some such verbiage.]

THE POINT IS [and you can't imagine how sorry I am to say this]: MiLB management doesn't give a rat's rump what minor league players think - heck, the pay and working conditions of players in MiLB is ALMOST as bad as for the umps- the only way the AMLU "wins" this strike is if a whole bunch of other unions start adding to the pressure [electricians who won't turn on the lights, Teansters who won't drive the trucks - that sort of thing], or if the public statrts to play [no backsides in seats]. I think it was, well...you... that wrote: management would prefer to take what they are getting [in terms of officiating] than give the umpires what they want. [or some such verbiage]

Management apparently feels they can adequately evaluate "apprentice" players without the input from "apprentice" officials; and that paying customers won't care if the "product" is inferior due to the absence of adequate officials, probably because the customers won't recognise that there is a difference.

I support the AMLU, but I'm pretty sure they're toast.