Thread: Hot threads
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 20, 2001, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Here's my two cents on why the hot threads have been so hot lately. I've been on this board for about 4 months now, and I've been on McGriff's board for -- I would guess -- about 5 seasons. I have come to know and respect certain posters b/c of their rules knowledge, or b/c of their ability to offer suggestions for dealing with coaches, or simply b/c of their sense of humor. These people have built up a huge amount of credibility in these two "communities". And when I disagree with them, we both go dig in the rulebook and try to find some support for our positions.

But within the last two or three weeks, we've had 3 guys (Eli, bpf, and crew) come onto this board and tell all of us wannabees that we all need to start thinking differently if we want to move up. crew's first post on this board was riddled with "interpretations" that were in total conflict with the rulebook. TH right took him to task. But it didn't help. These guys have no credibility with anybody on this board, and yet want to help us by getting us to disregard rules or taking advice that is simply bad for most guys. Even when the majority of us are proven right on national TV, all we get is "Did you ever think that maybe he missed the call?"

I'm not going to sit here and say that these guys shouldn't post. I'm not even going to ignore them, I'm going to keep reading their posts. But they've got to be confronted when their interpretations are blatently wrong. Especially b/c we've got newer refs on here trying to figure out how to ref. If they follow the advice of these three guys, they will get nowhere fast. It may be good advice for the pro circuit, but we don't have too many of those refs on this board.

Chuck