View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwwashburn
I just saw on Baseball tonight an Interference call that I do not understand.

In OBR, the runner can slide wherever he wants as long as he can reach the base, correct? As long as it is not a roll block or something similar to that.

OK, I will see a better replay later, I hope-Or, maybe one of you was watching the actual game.

Bases Loaded. Ground ball, throw to catcher, force out. The runner slides out in front of the plate in an obvious attempt to disrupt the catcher from completing the throw to 1B-the throw was bad because of the contact. The runner was easily within range of the plate(I think...again, I want to see another angle) The Home Plate umpire calls interference and an out.

Why is this different than the guy sliding into the SS or 2B to break up the double play? Why can a runner blow the catchers head off with a shot gun on a tag play but not slide into him on a force play.

Did anyone see this?

Joe
Did not see it, but in MLB a runner sliding into 2B can and will slide into a fielder to the left of the bag, to the right of the bag, or beyond the bag, to break up a DP. Only if he slides at a fielder so far away from the bag that he couldn't possibly reach it with an outstreached hand might a ML umpire call him for interference. I have seen some doozy's that were not called. There is no FPSR in MLB and almost anything goes around 2B and anything goes at the plate.

So I don't understand why a MLB umpire called an out in this situation, if what you say is correct (ie sliding runner in easy reach of the plate).