View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooPigSooie
I am umpire slow pitch quite a bit in Oklahoma and there has been a good deal of discussion of the benefits vs. negatives of high school slow pitch in the state. Because sports like volleyball are not huge in the state, the OSSAA chooses to play fastpitch in the fall and slow pitch in the spring. As you would expect, the majority of fastpitch players play slowpitch as well. Alot of people dont like the effect it has on the approach of the batter. Pretty big difference in a hitters approach in the two sports. Those in favor say that slowpitch gives girls who otherwise would not play anything an opportunity to play a more 'recreational' sport in a competitive venue. Who's correct? Its open for debate.

From the umpiring stand point, there is no better gravy than slowpitch gravy. A couple of weeks ago, I called a 6 inning, 2-0 game that took 41 minutes to play. Had several 4, 5, and 6 pitch innings. That was the easiest 40 bucks I ever made. Cant beat a dollar a minute.
This is most likely done to get the players game-situation work on defense. If this is the case, they would allow the batting team to provide the pitcher even if it's not a team member. Each batter gets three pitches. No walks and if none of the three are put into play, the batter is out. A batted ball touched by the pitcher is an out.

Piece of cake