View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme
So is it the majority opinion here that IF:

1. A curve ball (or other pitch) crosses the plate around chest high but ends up being caught by F2 at strike level (it looks like a strike where caught) it should be called a strike?

Agree []
Disagree []

2. A curve ball (or other pitch) crosses the plate around knee high but is caught below F2's knees or even in the dirt should be called a ball?

Agree []
Disagree []

3. A pitch crosses the outside corner of the plate but F2 has to reach across his body to make the catch, giving the appearance that the pitch missed, you call it a ball?

Agree []
Disagree []

4. F2 (left-handed, RH batter) sets up slightly inside. The pitch comes inside (looks like a strike to the coaches from their side view) but because F2 didn't have to move his mitt you call it a strike? Same with the outside pitch?

Agree []
Disagree []
1. Curves balls don't drop as much as some think in the 2-3 feet from the plate to the catcher's mitt. If the catcher sticks it smack dab in the middle of the strike zone, it was at least a high strike when it crossed the plate. STRIKE.
2. Catcher leans over to catch one, or catches palm up, or looks the least been clumsey catching a low one. BALL.
3. BALL
4. I can't relate to pitches caught by LH catchers. I don't know what I would do. I would probably have my worst night unless the pitcher was real good.

Number 5 you didn't mention:

Fastball comes screaming in at the hollow beneath the knee, and catcher sticks it solid (a must), you can take that pitch if you want, but I will call it every time. I just love that pitch.