Thread: Knee pain
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a big guy and started a preseason a couple of years ago with a double header baseball, both games behind the plate. My knee was gone and I was sure it was going to be surgery. I went to a doctor, an old timey kind of guy who put his hands on my knees and asked me to swing my legs. I did and he said, "your knees are perfectly fine... but the insurance companies make me take x-rays anyway." He took some x-rays and my knees were fine. He gave me some very easy exercises to do to strengthen some of the muscles used in our weird umpiring squats.

While laying on my back, I will bring one leg up so the foot is flat on the floor next to my other knee. Then I lift the leg that is out straight six inches off the ground and hold for 45-60 seconds. Reps of three times for each leg. (It is kind of like doing the old football "six inch" drill, but doing both legs at once works the stomach and lower back, where doing one leg at a time works the knee muscles.)

Using ankle weights is acceptable. I personnally just do it first thing in the morning before I get out of bed, with the light weight of a blanket draped over my leg. No problems since then.