Thread: Scab Umpires
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 17, 2006, 01:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLU
If there are, say, 100 games, two umpires per game, 200 umpires and each one gets a game, then someone comes along from MiLB and takes one of those games, one umpire gets excluded. The MiLB guy took that game from him.
Assignors make decisions like this all the time. They decide who they need and who new is to take the place of those that die, retire, get fired, screw up and change their availability. According to your logic any newly hired umpire are "taking" assignments away from veterans when they get hired for a new season.

Also let us not exaggerate the situation. I highly doubt that any umpire is taking 100 games from anyone at this point. I know where I live we are scrounging for umpires to cover games. So if there is someone that is not available that would not normally be available at this time of the year, I know of some assignors that would be very happy with the fact that there are qualified umpires available to cover games instead of picking up very new umpires to work games that because of numbers is the only reason they would be working certain games in the first place.

Peace